Flour Tortilla Recipe|How to make tortillas from scratch
Mexican Flour Tortillas
I have been getting requests from my friends to try my hands on flour tortilla. Many of my friends complained that whenever they have tried making it, either these become too soft or too crisp. So i tried these for the first time and result came out very nice and perfect. Here is my recipe to make tortilla. Its a vegetarian recipe so we have not used lard.
Learning is fun when Video Representation is there. Do watch our video to make Tortilla
Ingredients to make Tortilla
- All purpose flour – 1 bowl (250 ml / 120 gms)
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Baking powder – ¼ tbsp
- Warm water ( it is required to knead a dough)
- In first step take a bowl (big enough to knead dough). Add all purpose flour.
- Mix flour with salt as per your taste. Mix it with spoon / spatula
- Add oil and baking powder. Baking powder is generally added to make the dough soft. Soft dough in turn will lead to softer tortilla
- Add warm water and knead dough. Add water in parts so that you can make out easily when its done.
- Once kneaded keep it aside
- Out of the dough, take one portion and flatten it on slab and enlarge it with the help of rolling pin and dry flour. Make a large round shape
- Now heat a pan and put the enlarged dough on it
- After a little while, flip it. You will be able to see the little browning on it in the form of brown dots. Again flip it. Rule is to cook it equally from both the sides.
- You can also gently press it with the help of kitchen towel / napkin. This way it will become round like a ball.
- When equally cooked from both side, ready to use/serve.
- If you have time, keep the dough covered with damp cloth for atleast 30 minutes. Then knead it again by giving few light pat and then make tortilla
- Wheat flour can also be added in ratio 2:1 i.e all purpose flour should be double of wheat flour.
- Cook tortillas on medium flame to have soft results.
PS : Check for our latest video on Honey Chilli Potatoes it goes awesome with tortillas