Aalu Bonda Recipe | Mashed potato recipe
Aalu Bonda Recipe
How to make aalu bonda a perfect south Indian snack. Its a mashed potato recipe. Aalu bonda is loved by people of all ages. There can be many varations to aalu bonda like some make it too spicy some like it cheesy. This recipe will cover the cheese version which is a kids friendly recipe.
When ever it rains outside my heart ponders for something fried. Taste buds always want fried delicacy. So a thought crossed my mind to make something using air fryer. Yes these gram flour batter dipped balls are air fried using just light brushing of oil.
Video representation is given below. Everything is shown step by step
Ingredients required are:
- Boiled potatoes (as many as you want 🙂 )
- Oil – 1 tbsp only
- Mustard seeds (rai) – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 8-10
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tbsp
- Chopped garlic – 6 cloves
- Mozzarella cheese – Optional as a filling inside aalu bonda
- Gram flour (besan)
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder
- Heat oil in a pan and once oil is heated up, add mustard seeds to it
- Once it starts crackling, add washed curry leaves and saute. I have my own plant of curry leaves so the freshness and aroma in kitchen while cooking is just heavenly
- After curry leaves, now add chopped garlic pods and saute till it turns little golden
- Next step is to add salt and turmeric powder. You can also add green chillies to it. As i have a small baby to taste everything i make these on lighter side.
- Now add the magical aromatic pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Last but not the least step is to add boil potatoes and mash them evenly.
- Your mixture is ready when you see all the potatoes are covered with turmeric color
- Now come my daughter’s favourite part, making batter. For batter, mix together gram flour, water, salt and red chilli powder. (Our batter song is dip dip dip – mumma kare dip )
- Make a batter of thin consistency as it is required to do thin coating over the potato ball
- Now take a portion of cooked potato mix and flatten it on your hand. Fill in one tbsp of mozzarella cheese. Cover it from all sides and make a ball. Make sure that cheese should not show from any side.
- Dip it in the batter and put on a greased air fryer suitable pan
- Air fry at 180 degrees celcius for 15 minutes and these are ready to serve with the sauces of your choice . I take these with my cuppa of tea
You can also try our other Kids Special recipe – Mcdonalds McPuff